What does it take to rise to the top and be successful in network marketing? Prospecting, building contact lists and identifying a target market. Strong recruiting tactics. Effective marketing. And presentation skills, of course. That’s all pretty clear cut and simple, just a little research will tell us this. But let’s dig deeper, let’s go below the surface to truly try to understand what it really takes to achieve victory. What sort of person is capable of success, what these traits of successful people? Who are they, and do you have what it takes to become one of them?
Below are ten traits of successful people, or guiding principles for success, that can take you from the bottom to the top if you hold onto them. Consider this an unfinished list, because there are many more of these “power traits” out there, and it may be different for each individual or circumstance.
10 Power Traits of Successful People
1. Know the Value of Hard Work– A house can’t be built with just tools and pile of materials. It requires manpower: physical and mental effort and raw skills to pick up those tools and materials and turn it into a house. It’s no different when building an MLM business. Industry leaders didn’t get to the top by sitting on their couches and waiting for the sales to make themselves. They put some elbow grease into it; they sold like crazy and took the time to learn the necessary skills. They picked up their tools and materials and set to work.
2. Be Passionate– Let’s face it, if you’re not excited about what you’re selling, your prospects won’t be excited to buy your product. Passion is contagious. Energy and enthusiasm sell. When entering into a network marketing business, make sure to choose a company that you’re totally and completely in love with, and then go out there and spread the love.
3. Put Time Into It– It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Don’t fall for the trap that you’ll make money overnight in your MLM business. You get what you give; the more time and effort you put into your business, the more you’ll achieve. Have patience, remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day.
4. Have Direction– Know where you’re going. Don’t set out on your path running zig zags and beginning again several times. Set goals for yourself and and go after them. Make a list of skills you’d like to hone and practice them. Know your ideal prospects and target them. Know the traits of successful people and mimic them.
5. Keep a Positive Mindset– You ARE going to fail. You ARE going to lose. Did you believe that? You shouldn’t have. Gain confidence in yourself and know that you’re going to win, even after you experience setbacks. Every time you hear the word “no”, let that push you harder and further. Don’t let anyone stand in your way, overcome those nagging voices and put yourself on the path to success.
6. Take Responsibility– In network marketing, you play every role in your business, which means that you’re responsible for a heck of a lot. The good news is that you are your own boss and you make your own rules. The downside is that you may not be totally prepared for every nook and cranny that running a business entails. Don’t know how to use social media to market? Don’t have the best communication skills? It’s your responsibility to get out there and overcome these obstacles. So take the bull by the horn and do what it takes to grow your business and accomplish your goals.
7. Possess a Willingness to Learn– Even the industry leaders started at the bottom and worked their way up. They weren’t experts from day one, they had to go out there and acquire skills that they didn’t have to begin with, and they had to seek advice from those above them. Be a sponge. Soak up new knowledge and always be prepared to learn something new, even at unexpected times or from unexpected people.
8. Be a Good Listener– Not only should you listen to the advice of those that have succeeded in MLM, but you should make sure to give your customer base and your prospects the focus they deserve. MLM is about building lasting relationships with your downline and your customers, so make sure you’re listening to their requests and taking them to heart. Be prepared to answer any and all questions from prospects in an honest and thoughtful manner. Keep the avenues of communication open between you and the people that help make your company what it is.
9. Be Humble– If you stand on the mountaintop and push others off because you believe you are the best and the one and only, you’ll be alone and you’ll quickly tumble to the bottom. We are all a part of a larger web, a community of supporters and each one of us plays an important role. There’s always more to be learned and the world has so much more to offer, but if you believe you’re already the best at what you do, you’ll shut yourself off to all of this. Never stop exploring, don’t believe that the summit is the end of your journey.
10. Roll with the Punches– MLM is constantly changing. There are so many new and exciting opportunities that weren’t available in the past, just waiting for you to utilize them. Don’t shy away from anything new, embrace it. Tackle it head on and stay ahead of the game.
Power Up and Climb to the Top
Remember that to become the person you aspire to be, you must present yourself in the image of the person you want to be. Know what sort of traits of successful people you need in order to grow. Always go after your goals and never look back, take charge of your life and go headstrong into the wind. Surround yourself with a community of supporters and positive thinkers, and reward yourself and others for your accomplishments.